Okie, Let's see how to make cabbage poriyal today. Any vegetable has its own flavor, so I usually don't add many spices to all the veggies. Tip to remember while cooking CabbageThis veggie itself has lots of water in it. we don't have to add extra water to cook this. Just need to cover the pan with lid and cook.
Cabbage - 1 lb
green chili -1 no.
salt- as per taste
shredded coconut - 1/4 cup
oil - 2 tsp
mustard seed- 1tsp
urad dal - 1 tsp
curry leaves - a few
1. Cut cabbage thin and lengthwise.
2. In a pan, heat oil and add the items mentioned in "to temper".
3. Add the thinly sliced cabbage and mix well.
4. Add salt to taste.
5.Cover with lid and cook over medium heat. Make sure to open the lid and stir often.
6. Once the veggie is cooked soft and tender, add coconut and turn off the stove.
1. If the veggie starts to catch in the bottom, add a little oil or sprinkle little water to cook.
2.I use induction stove so the heat will be there even after turning off the stove, So I used to turn it off and add coconut once the veggie is cooked 80%.
3.My kids don't prefer spicy food, so I have added only one chili, you can add according to your taste.