Eggplants - 10-12 (try to use the similar sized eggplants)
tamarind water - 2 cups (dilute 1 tsp of concentrate in 2 cups of water)
to saute and grind:
Oil - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 small
tomato - 1 small
ginger - a small piece
garlic - 1-2 cloves
To roast and grind:
Oil - 1tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
fenugreek - 5-6 seeds
peanuts - 1/4 cup
sesame - 1/4 cup
red chilies- 3-4
coconut (grated / powder) - 1/4 cup
tamarind concentrate - 1 tsp
salt - a pinch
Oil - 1 tbsp
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
urad dal - 1 tsp
cumin - 1 tsp
green chilies - 2-3 (slit it lengthwise)
hing - a pinch
curry leaves - a sprig
1. In a pan heat 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds, fenu greek, then add and roast peanuts until they turn slight brown.
2. Then add sesame and red chilies, when the sesames start popping, add coconut and fry for few seconds.
3. Then add tamarind concentrate, salt (do not stir) and switch off the flame. Let it cool down.
4. In the mean time, heat another tea spoon of oil and saute, ginger, garlic, onion, tomato one by one and saute. Let it cool down.
5. Now, grind the peanut, sesame mix with a tbsp of water.
Stuffing the eggplant:
6. Cut all the eggplants from bottom, leaving the stem on top. (do not cut till the stem, stop a cm before the stem)
7. open the cut eggplants like a flower and stuff the masala in it and press tight. Repeat this for all the egg plants. (preserve the remaining stuff masala to use while preparing gravy)
8. In a wide pan, heat a tsp of oil and arrange the egg plants in it.
9. Keep the flame in simmer and close the pan with a lid.
10. Make sure to turn the eggplants every one minute to have even cooking.(Cook each side for a minute)
11. Grind the onion tomato, ginger garlic into a smooth paste
12. Heat a table spoon of oil in a pan, add, mustard seeds, urad dal, green chilies, curry leaves, hing one by one. Saute them for a minute.
13. Then add the ground paste and saute until the raw smell leaves.
14. Once the raw smell goes, add the tamarind water, along with the remaining stuff masala (if any). check for salt.
15. Let this mix boil well for another 5 minutes.
16. Now add the stuffed eggplants, without breaking it, to the gravy.
17. Let it cook for another 3-5 minutes. (do not over cook, otherwise the eggplants will become mash)
18. Add cut coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
1. If the stuff masala remains, it can be added with the gravy. if not no problem, the onion tomato paste is sufficient to give the gravy consistency.
2. If the curry is not spicy for your taste, add a tsp of sambar powder instead of adding more chili powder.
3. Let it stand for atleast 20-30 mins before serving.