Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Garlic Chutney

I was thinking whether I should post this or not.. At last decided to post because, my blog is especially for the beginners and to archive my recipes and trials. Being a beginner, I won't say all my recipes are success or I never failed in my trials.. So My blog can contain the lessons learned and the disasters I make at kitchen:)....This is one of the lesson I learned today and Thought  it might be useful for the new chefs like me... :)

I often make Garlic Chutney and all the time it used to be in mild red or pale color depends on the no of red chilies/ tomato I add.

But today when I made it was in mild red, But when I gave Thalippu / Tadka, It turned (mild) Green. I was wondering why did this happened? I dint add green chilies. And I have not used the Tadka pan for any other fry or tadka today... Is it dangerous? I knew the garlic was quite older like during Christmas I bought from store.. Really not that old, still not sure when they stocked in store!



As usual before taking a decision, just seek help from Google. (Thank god) It was safe... As it was mentioned in that site, my husband told, it flavored strong. Still It was nice with hot and soft idles

What I did different today than usual?

1. I added some onions to it, which I don't do normally.
2. I had to pause the preparation twice for few mins as my husband was getting calls from his office

first when it was only half blended, he got a call, so I had to wait for him to complete.
Again before giving Tadka, he got another call and our daughter was disturbing him, so had to stop my work at kitchen and take care of her...

these two things took almost more than thirty minutes, which resulted getting to know the lesson on why garlic turned to green and an strong flavored Garlic chutney (in green color)

I thought this note will be useful for you, in case if you come across this situation in your kitchen experiments in future. If you know any other facts about this also, please add in comments :) Thanks

Now let us get into the recipe:

Ingredients :

Garlic gloves - 12-15
Onion- 1/4 of a medium sized (optional)
Red Chilies - 3 (I normally use mild spice and this quantity is very hot for me. You can adjust according to your taste)
tamarind - 1 small amla sized

oil-  3-4 tea spoon
mustard seeds - 1/4 tea spoon
Urad daal - 1/4 tea spoon
cumin seeds- 1/4 tea spoon

Preparation:

1. preheat the pan with 1/2 tes spoon of oil, and saute the garlic and onions for a minute ot two.
2. When they are cool down, grind Garlic, onion, red chilies, tamarind and salt into a thin paste.


3. Temper with mustard seeds, urad daal, and cumin seeds, add the ground paste to it. (just add 1/4-1/2 cup of water to it.)
4. Let it cook in the same tadka pan for few mins. (Helps to remove the raw smell after grinding)
5. when it is getting thicken, add a tea spoon of oil and switch off the flame.

linking to,
dish-it-out- Side Dishes hosted by Sathya Priya, organized by vardhini@ cooks joy  





7 comments:

  1. yummy and flavorful chutney. You have lovely space here.
    Happy to follow you...would be glad if you follow me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. flavorful n vibrant chutney,good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very flavorful garlic chuney. Love to have it with idlis, dosai or vada.....yummy! Thanks for dropping by my space and leaving your nice words there. Keep in touch....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very healthy and flavorful chutney Tanya, nicely made...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow looks good...superb clicks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by and your interest to join the TST event..will add you in the FB group..

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW I need your fb profile to add you in the group...

    ReplyDelete