The disc which we use for this has little fat hole in it. This snack might have got this name by its shape.It is almost similar to the regular Ribbon pakoda / Seeval, except few steps and few ingredients.
Rice - 2 cups (soak for 3-4 hrs)
Red chilies - 2-3 (you can increase if you like it more spicy.)
Garlic - 2 gloves (optional)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ajwin / omam -1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 or 2 tsp
Pottukadalai - 1/2 cup
Gram flour - 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup
Perungayam - a pinch
Salt - as per taste
Hot Oil - 3-4 tbsp
Oil to deep fry
1. In grinder, add Red chilies and gloves and grind for 3-4 mins. (If it seems to get not grinding also no worries, it will be ok when adding rice)
2. Then add soaked rice, cumin seeds and grind as fine paste, by adding required water. Add salt, perungayam a minute before switching off the grinder.
3. in the mean time, grind Fried gram(pottu kadalai) in mixi into a fine powder and sift and keep ready. (it makes approx 3/4 cup of flour)
4. transfer the batter to a mixing bowl and add, Ajwin, sesame seeds, ground fried gram flour and mix well.
5. Now add the gram flour little by little and knead tight.(1/2 cup would be sufficient, in case if your batter is watery, it may need little more flour)
6.Add hot oil and knead well like murukku dough.
7. Use the Ottu Pakoda disc, fill and press in hot oil.
8. Deep fry until the pakoda turns golden brown. Make sure it is cooked well.
Store in Airtight container and serve.
1. Try to make the straight press, avoid folding ones, as it wont cook evenly.
2. Adding garlic is optional but recommended, it gives a nice flavor, and good for digestion.
3. you can either add the cumin seeds while grinding or add them while adding ajwin and sesame seeds.
4. try to make the batter thick while grinding, so you can have the right ratio of rice, gram flour, or the gram flour will be dominating the taste.