So thought of sharing this simple recipe here.
Aval / Poha - 2 cups
Lemon - Half of medium size
Red chili - 1 (increase if you prefer spicy)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Peanuts - 1 tbsp (optional)
turmeric - 1/8 tsp
salt- as per taste
Curry leaves - a sprig
Oil -1 tbsp
1. Clean and wash Aval in colander with running tap water for 45 sec to 1min.
2. drain water and keep it aside.
3.Heat oil in a kadai /pan and add Peanuts and saute until they turn light brown. Then add mustard seeds, urad dal, red chili, curry leaves one by one.
4.saute for a min, (dont let the ingredients burn) and add turmeric powder and little salt. Give a quick stir and switch off the flame.
5. Now add lemon juice from half a lemon.
6.Add the washed Aval and stir well.
7. Now switch on the stove and stir for a minute. (Just the aval should become hot) Do not cook for more time. Adjust salt by tasting now.
1. If the Aval is not tangy add another tsp of lemon juice.
The lemon which i used was Juicy and medium tangy.
2.Turmeric tends to burn quickly,so add the turmeric in hot oil, stir quickly and switch off the flame.
3. It is important to on the flame and stir for a minute at last / until the poha is hot, otherwise, the poha will be raw in taste and smell.
4. If you cook more time after adding lemon, it will turn little bitter.
5.Salt and lemon can be added anytime even after cooking so adjust if needed.
Post a Comment