Karthigai Deepam Wishes to you all.
Hope everyone havin fun lighting up Deepam, candles at home. It is an exciting festival for us in childhood (Even Now). We will be expecting this day from deepaavali and preserve some night crackers. And it is another Festival with lots of eatables. Mom will be preparing "kozhukattai vilakku", rava appam,vadai, and other snacks to offer.
Though we cannot do much outside here, we are lighting few candles and Oil lit lamps at home safely. :)
Now lets move on to today's Recipe. No karthigai deeapam gets fulfill without these Pori Urundai.
It is really simple to make.
Pori / Puffed Rice - 2 cups
Jaggery powder- 1/4 cup
Water - 1/8 cup or little less than 1/4 cup (just to immerse jaggery)
Elachi powder - 1 pinch
Dry ginger / Sukku powder - 1 pinch
Ghee - 1 tsp (to grease palms)
1. Check for any impurities in Pori, clean it and keep aside.
2. In a large pan/Kadai, add jaggery and water and let it boil.
3. In the mean time, heat another pan and slightly dry roast the Pori. Do not change color, just a min or two will be sufficient. Transfer to a plate and let it cool down.
4.Now check the consistency of Jaggery mix, If you put a drop of it in water, it should not dissolve, that is the rite consistency.
5. Add pori to the jaggery mix and switch off the flame. Stir well and quick.
6.Make sure the jaggery is coated well on the Pori.
7.When it is hot / warm itself, grease your palm with ghee and make balls.
Store them in air tight containers.
1. You need to be real fast to make the balls, So if you are new making this, first make in little quantity as mentioned. If you have a helping hand to make balls, you can increase the quantity for sure. I am comfortable with this quantity so I go with this.
2.Adding Sukku powder is optional, But we used to add sukku in almost all Jaggery based recipes.
3.Frying pori is optional, but it gives crispiness for longer time.
Post a Comment