Thursday, January 16, 2014
Kovakkai Stir Fry
Kovakkai is one of the interesting vegetable for my daughter, as she believes that if she doesn't eat it, this veggie will get angry :).kov(b)am means angry in tamil. So whenever i prepare kovakkai dishes, she will finish her plate... :)
tomato - 1 medium
Onion - 1 medium
green chilies - 2 medium
turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon
red chili powder - 1/4 tea spoon
coriander powder - 1/4 tea spoon
salt - as per taste
oil - 2 tea spoons
mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
urad daal -1/2 tea spoon
jeera - 1/2 tea spoon (optional)
curry leaves - a few
1. Pre heat tea spoon of oil in a pan /kadai.
2. Add mustard seeds, urad daal and jeera one by one, when they are spurted add curry leaves
3. Add the chopped onions and green chilies to it and fry until they turn golden brown.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and saute until the water is absorbed.
5.Add cut kovakkai and saute well until it mixes well with onions and tomatoes.
6. then add, salt ,turmeric,chili, and coriander powder mix well and close the pan with a lid fr 10-15 mins.
7. in between open the lid and turn the veg to cook even. Add the remaining oil, if required.
8. when they are cooked well, remove the lid and cook it open for another 5 mins. (this will help the fry to be dry)
Best to serve with sambar, rasam and curd rice