I will soon post my tomato rice recipe which was appreciated by my family and friends.
Tomatoes are rich in calcium, which will help you to have strong bones.
Thakkali thokku / mix is one of the easiest recipe, which can be prepared and stored in fridge for couple of days. During weekends you can prepare this recipe and store it in fridge, and in the busy weekdays, it will ease your job of packing your family's lunch box. Suitable for travel also. Nice combo for Rice and Chapathi. My MIL always serves this with coconut rice and the rice used to taste awesome with this thokku.
When i have less time to prepare lunch i always prefer for this.
I use mild spices in my recipes, so if you like more spicy food you can add some extra spices.
Oil - 2-3 tea spoons (to saute)
clove -2 -3
cinnamon - 1 small stick
Fennel seeds -1/2 tea spoon
Bay leave -1
Ginger - 1 tea spoon(finely chopped)
Garlic - 1 tea spoon (finely chopped)
Onion -2 (small or 1 big)
Green chili -2 (if you like spicy you can add 2 more)
Garam masala -1/2 a tea spoon
Chili powder - 1/4 tea spoon
turmeric powder -1/4 tea spoon
salt -as per taste
1.Pre heat Cooking Pan with 2 tea spoons of oil.
2. Add the ingredients given in "A" and saute for a minute.
3. Then add Finely chopped Ginger, Garlic to it. Saute until the raw smell leaves.
4. Add onions and saute until it gets golden brown / transparent (in medium flame)
5. Then add cut tomatoes to it and mix well. when it starts leaving water, add the masalas given in "C".
6.Saute for a minute, put the flame on low and close the pan with Lid.
7.Let it cook until all the water is absorbed. (takes around 10-15 mins max). in between, open the lid and stir to make sure it is not burned. add remaining oil when it looks catching the bottom of pan.
8. when all the water is absorbed, add finely chopped coriander leaves to it.
Mix with cooked rice and serve. potato Fry or Masiyal suits well with this.
dish-it-out- Side Dishes hosted by Sathya Priya, organized by vardhini@ cooks joy